(#2060) - A RIVERSIDE RESORT CLOSE TO SAN IGNACIO, CAYO DISTRICT..
Benique Viejo del Carmen, Belize
Listing ID: 10001121409
A beautiful 12 cabana riverside resort with separate owner’s homeand manager’s apartment.
The property consists of 90 acres of riverside land located in the west of the country, close to the bustling tourist town of San Ignacio and accessed across the beautiful Mopan River by boat.
The resort was once awarded the title of “THE MOST BEAUTIFUL RESORT IN THE WORLD”.
The resort had been closed for some time before the current owners purchased it. They have been steadily carrying out major renovations and updates, some of which are currently still ongoing. However, the resort could be partially opened now with minimal effort while the remaining renovations are being completed.
The resort consists of 12 cabanas in a beautifully landscaped area of the grounds, just back from the river. There is also a spacious owner’s home and an apartment suitable for a manager’s accommodation The manager’s apartment is ready for use. Some of the cabanas have already been refurbished and are nearly ready for use (need only a mirror, bathroom faucet and AC unit) while upgrades are still on-going in some of the other cabanas. There is a large restaurant/bar area with both indoor and outdoor seating under a covered patio; the restaurant/bar renovations have been completed and it is ready for use. Therefore, the resort could be opened while repairs were still ongoing on the remaining cabanas with minimal effort.
- Owner’s Home: The largest building on the property is the owner’s house. This very spacious building is about 2,500 sq. ft. with three large bedrooms and two bathrooms. It has been completely renovated and furnished to U.S. standards, and is move-in ready with a/c units in each room. It has a large deck overlooking the river and also a fenced back yard in case the owners have pets.
- Restaurant/Bar: Large restaurant/bar with additional patio seating. The restaurant has been completely renovated and furnished with handmade furniture and is ready to open. The seating area was doubled by adding covered seating areas on the deck surrounding the restaurant for outdoor dining and the bathrooms are new and very deluxe. The commercial kitchen in the restaurant is fully renovated and ready for use. It has two new stoves but does needs a refrigerator and dishwasher. This area will not only be popular with guests staying at the resort, but the owners have already been asked to rent this space for meetings, private parties and weddings.
- Pool: The pool has been completely renovated and the pool equipment was recently replaced with brand-new equipment. The area is surrounded by lush greenery and the sounds of parrots nesting in the nearby trees.
- Wedding Chapel: A quaint wedding chapel complete with pews overlooks the river, providing an idyllic setting for local or destination weddings.
- Bird Watching Tower: A bird watching tower which will be popular with guests; in the past, many bird enthusiasts visited this resort due to the diverse number of bird species that live on and near the property.
- Laundry House: A separate facility exists to be used as a laundry house. There is an attic for storage and a break area with bathroom for staff; the staff bathroom has not yet been upgraded.
- Furnishings: All furniture is handmade by local craftsmen and included in the sale.
- Electricity, Water and Internet: The property has main grid electricity, city water and its own dedicated fiber optic cable for excellent internet and phone service.
- Thatch Roofs: The thatch roofs on all cabanas and palapas were replaced a few years ago. They have been properly maintained since then and any repairs needed were carried out by the tradesmen that installed them.
- Thatch Grove: There is a thatch grove that will produce enough thatch for any repairs or replacements in the future. This thatch grove has been maintained so it would grow and flourish. This will significantly reduce the costs of any future thatch repairs or replacements.
- Fruit Orchard: The resort boasts a fruit orchard with many tropical fruit trees planted a few years ago and a greenhouse allows new plants to be started and then later transplanted on the property.
- Landscaping: The landscaping is worked on daily to keep the property lush and beautiful.
- Livestock: There is a fenced area for livestock, although it is not currently in use.
This is a turn-key sale and also included are -
- A large ferry for transporting guests (the two motors are almost new).
- A motorized boat with almost new outboard motor is the fastest way to cross the river; the boat needs some minor repairs, but is functional for fast access.
- Canoe: A canoe provides a scenic and gas-free way to cross the river as well.
- Pickup Truck: A Ford F-150 pickup truck is not new but runs well; the interior is clean and the exterior has no dents.
- Fenced Parking Lot: A secure fenced parking lot on the town side for company and guest vehicles. There is a small structure in the parking lot for an attendant, if desired.
There is currently a staff of eight people who, according to the owners, are extremely trustworthy and highly recommends retaining them. On request, the owners can provide an assessment on each staff member.
With the good internet service and reliable staff, it is possible for the new owners to operate the resort from outside of Belize, if desired.
Property taxes are about US$500 per year.
Most of the 90-acre property is still in its natural jungle condition, but it is still possible to hike to the nearby famous Xunantunich Mayan ruins making the resort an attractive and convenient place to stay while exploring the ruins and other nearby tourist attractions.
There are no other “in-use’ properties on the same side of the river in this area. The charming border town of Benque Viejo Del Carmen is directly across the river and easily accessible by boat. The closeness of the Guatemalan border crossing makes all of the many Guatemalan tourist attractions like Flores and the fabulous Tikal Maya ruins easily accessible.
A major film/television company was recently interested in using the resort as a setting for a TV series and, while that series did not take place, it demonstrates the versatility of the property and the potential it has for a variety of future uses.
This resort provides a unique opportunity for the right person(s) to become a major player in the Belize tourism industry which is quickly rebounding from the enforced effects of Covid 19.
- 90 acres of rainforest.
- Recently renovated.
- Spacious and grand owner’s house.
- Manager’s house.
- 12 guest cabanas.
- Wedding chapel.
- Beautifully landscaped.
- Reliable and honest staff.
- All utilities.
- Turn-key sale